Tonight for dinner I cooked a recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine, Oct 2007 issue.
I love pumpkin but I've only ever had it in sweets. So even though this is not generally the season for the hearty orange orb, I decided to go ahead with it anyway. I'm just weird like that!
The hubby was skeptical about it at first because he hates pumpkin, but quickly changed his mind after tasting it. We've also come to the conclusion that this dish would be totally awesome with chicken breast added to it!
* 1 pound whole-wheat penne
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 shallots, finely chopped (Omitted cause we don't like them)
* 3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 1/2 cup cream
* 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
* Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (Used a couple pinches of ground)
* 2 pinches ground cinnamon
* Salt and black pepper
* 7 to 8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced plus more, for garnish (I used 3 pinches of ground)
* Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat water for pasta, salt it and cook penne to al dente.
Heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic to the pan, saute 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and combine with pumpkin, stir in cream then season sauce with hot sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 to 6 minutes more to thicken. Stir in sage, toss with pasta with grated cheese, to taste.